Saturday, July 07, 2007

Home Sweet Home

It was great to sleep in my own bed last night.
It was great to see my dog.
It is great to sit in my family room and stare at the wall.

It was a great week. Significant life lessons and life change. On Thursday, I gave the team a little exercise to help them debrief their experience, to determine the next steps to take, and to dream about what is going to take place as a product of this trip.

As the students shared, some clear "themes" came up as they sought to sum up their experience in one sentence. 3 words I heard again and again...
  1. Compassion.
  2. Prayer.
  3. Obedience.

Also, in the action steps, there were significant themes...
  1. TAWG (Time Alone With God)... specifically getting up earlier to do so.
  2. Follow-up with friends and families written; with specific deadlines to do so.
  3. Memorize Scripture (various weekly commitments)
  4. Commitments to start, join, or continue with a "Prayer Group"
  5. Commitments to "park benches" (everyday areas where they encounter opportunities to initiate conversations and build relationship).

I'm VERY excited about what I've seen God do in and through our IMPACT Mexico team. I EXTREMELY pumped over where I see the kids from our NYGO team heading. I DEEPLY believe we are on the verge of a FRESH MOVE of God in the next year at NMC Senior High.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Derry, I would like to take the time to thank you and all the other leaders for all your hard work. It takes VERY special people to do what you have accomplished. It was very scary, as a parent, to send my child off to a place like NY. This experience has helped my walk with God to become even stonger. I have spent more time in prayer in this past week than in the last 6 months. What my daughter and I will be taking away from this is irreplacable. Thanks again for yor commitment to these kids!! God bless!
Becky Moorefield (Britt Weavers mom)