Friday, January 11, 2008

One More Story about a student

I've been sharing some stories from students who blow me away over the past few weeks. This one has both excited and challenged me. Excited me in the sense that this is from a quiet and shy Senior gal who I've seen growing for quite some time.
Challenged me because it makes me wonder how many times I've passed up opportunities just like this one.
I asked the gal if she would be willing to write out the story. She actually gave me her journal entries, but left out some of the specifics (names and details).

I know it's long, but it's worth the read; both to be reminded that there is a ton of hope and possibility in this generation, and to be challenged to live out our own faith in real and tangible ways:

________________________________

A Message from Heaven

December 31, 2007

I received a text a short while ago from an unknown person. The text included some very personal information which was clearly meant to be read by someone other than myself. I sent a text back simply saying that they had the wrong number and I was not the person who the text was intended for. After sending it, I was suddenly overwhelmed with a burden for this person. Without initially knowing who this person was, I began diving into their life. I asked simple questions and found that I was texting a thirteen year old, seventh grade girl from my school district and town. I immediately began sharing some things with her that God had placed so heavily upon my heart. I talked with her for a brief amount of time and learned a little about her. I then told her, quite indirectly, that there was a guy that I knew who would be great for her.

—I told her that he is the man that will love her and respect her because of who she is. No matter what she is going through, he would be by her side, holding her hand the entire way through it. He is caring; he would take care of her throughout the good and the bad in her life. He is a great listener; he would hear her every word. He would teach her His ways if she decided to let him. He would always be honest with her. He would never be too busy for her. And he is never too distant to contact. If she ever needed anything, He would fulfill it her desires.—

She began asking me questions about this guy. She even asked me for his number so that she could contact him and pursue a relationship with him. To each of her doubtful questions, I gave a simple response, “He loves you.” She was torn between her mind’s thoughts and heart’s emotions. I finally told her that the man I was referring to was Jesus. Her first response was a question, “Why would you take the time to tell a complete stranger that someone loves them?” I replied that God had given me an opportunity and I was tired of letting them pass me by. Through this, God opened a door for me to share the salvation story with her and the Roman Road to forgiveness. She seemed interested and read along with each verse I wrote her. After texting back and forth for hours, I had the impression that she desperately was searching for someone to love her. God is burdening my heart to be that person.

___________________________________

January 3, 2008

We made arrangements to meet face to face at the library tonight. As I drove to meet her, my mind reeled with questions. Fears and doubts overcame my thoughts. I was afraid of failing; afraid of being trapped in an uncomfortable situation. Fear gripped me in ways which I have never before experienced. I began considering each of the “what if” situations that crossed my mind. Why me, God? Obviously God had led me to her for a purpose. But what if it’s not His purpose?

The moment I approached her, I sensed eagerness in her. She was eager not only to meet me, but to hear more about the man I had previously talked to her about. She was eager to be directed towards a new path in her life. And most of all, she was eager to share her story with someone who was willing to listen. As she began talking, God slowly revealed himself through her. A certain relief overcame her voice that burdened my heart for her. After listening to her talk about the different points in her life, I felt God telling me to share my story with her. I submitted to his will and he used it in bigger ways than I had ever imagined.

She asked me to not only take her home, but to come inside and share my story with her entire family. More uncertainty. More doubt. More fear. My expectations were shattered the moment I entered her home; her father greeted me warmly with a hand shake and a hug. His exact words were this, “I don’t understand how or why a stranger would show such compassion.” He repeatedly thanked me for being willing to talk with his daughter and meet with her. At this moment, it occurred to me that I had had tons of people who took time out of their life to invest in me, a stranger. These people had the most profound impact upon my life, leading up to me becoming a Christ-follower and the years since. I couldn’t have felt more blessed to now become one of those people to somebody else. God continued to burden my heart for her as I left their home. God just put this thought in my mind:

Compassion doesn’t share somebody else’s story. Compassion creates it’s own.
Note from Derry, read that quote above a few times and let it sink in.

__________________________________

January 7, 2008

Derry challenged me today. After hearing about the story, he asked me if I would be willing to share this story in front of a large group. Then he asked me how my personal time alone with God was going. I didn’t even have to think about it. It has been lacking recently. I find myself writing more in my journal than reading God’s word. I’m challenging myself for the next few weeks to make sure that that statement changes. But in the moment that Derry asked me, I began to feel guilty, and quite honestly, hypocritical of sharing God’s word with someone else when I am not even allowing God to work in me on a daily basis.

I talked with Kristy about it a little and she also challenged me. She said that when I share this story with others, I shouldn’t only make it a point of showing that shy, less outgoing people can submit to the opportunities that God gives. She mentioned that even in the times when we are not growing daily in His word, God still finds ways to prove himself to us. I learned this over Impact this past summer, but it’s so easy to forget. Simply being willing to take the opportunities that God gives us, gives God the opportunity to work in some pretty awesome ways!

Tonight, I got a phone call from her dad. He said that she decided that she was willing to come with me to the winter kickoff on Wednesday night. It looks as though I will be picking her up for Table Talk and youth group. I’m praying that God is planning a transformation in her life.

1 comment:

Janelle Prenkert said...

Simply Amazing. I'm so proud of her. Knowing her, I know what a step of faith it was for her! Way to go!!