Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Macro/ Micro

In planning for Wednesday Nights, there is often a dilemma on whether we should go macro or micro with the focus/topic. What do I mean by this?

Macro is taking a a step way back, looking at definitions, an overall understanding, etc.
Micro is diving into a specific pinpointed area on a topic.

For example, let's consider grace as a topic.
Macro would be looking at giving a general understanding of grace, defining it through scripture, and in the end pointing toward that cross as a key in understanding grace.
Micro would look a specific area of grace... how do I receive grace, what I am doing with grace, how do I practice grace.

Both approaches have value:
In going macro, it will often be about "us." (What does this mean to all of us?)
In going micro, it will often be about "me." (What do I specifically do with this?)

Macro usually lives more in theory and concepts.
Micro usually lives more in practical.

Macro will tend to lead to more discussion or further exploration on the topic. (ownership, Small Groups can take and follow up with the micro)
Micro will tend to lead to action. (application, students are more likely to walk out with something to put into practice immediately)

Macro may leave people asking, "What does this have to do with me?"
Micro may leave people confused because they still don't understand the macro (ex. how do I practice grace? I don't even understand what grace is.)

It is entirely possible to accomplish both as you share. In fact, I would rarely do a macro talk without giving at least a micro application at the end.

Tonight, as we continue talking about the Elephant in the Room at NMC Senior High (sexual temptation and sin), we focus in on lust. As I've studied, prayed and thought through the topic, I'm convinced we need to take a macro approach to really understanding what lust is. I believe, in this case, as we step back a few thousand feet and really look at lust, it may allow us to better understand the root issues many are struggling with.

No comments: