Friday, October 03, 2008

More than 10 Questions

I have 11 responses, and one that just decided to abuse the guidelines. But, here we go...

1. Do you think you will be a youth pastor all your life?
In 1995 when God clearly called me into ministry, I had a specific burden to work with teens. Even more specifically that burden was for teens growing up in the church and around religion.
Ask me that question in 1995 and my answer would be "Absolutely". Ask me in 2002, and I would have said, "I don't know if I want to be a pastor anymore."
But you've asked me now. I have no intentions to do anything different right now or in the future. I honestly believe that God does not have a lead or senior pastor role in my future. I believe my occupational ministry life will always have a close connection to teenagers.

2. What career would you been in if you weren't a paid youth pastor?
I originally went to Bethel with an English major. I was looking to go into some kind of writing (free lance journalism, novelist, reporter). I'd probably be doing that, or working with Jack Bauer for the CTU until he had to kill me in order to stop a looming terrorist threat. One or the other.

3. If you were in a band, what instrument would you play?
Little known Derry fact. I was in a band in High School. "Cellophane Dream" covered Greenday, Ugly Kid Joe, Nirvana, and Collective Soul. We had 3 songs we wrote and then 2 of us graduated and the others went their separate ways. I was lead singer.
If I were in a band now, I'd go for lead guitar with the ability to add witty sidenotes and push political/social/spiritual propoganda from the second mic.

4. What is your favorite movie quote and why?
"Earn This."
Said by Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan. It's the Captain's (Hanks) dying words to Private Ryan (Matt Damon) after they have held off the enemy from the bridge and Ryan is going to head home.
It's a powerful picture of how we should view grace. Ryan receives a free ticket home, but others had to die so it could happen. The Captain's words are a call to live a life that is worthy of what he had already received.

5. From the students you get close to, can you tell which ones are going to stay on the "right" path and which ones are going to crash? How accurate have you been in your gut level predictions about this?
Wow, this is a great one. Maybe sometime I'll expound on this, but for now, yes I've seen some key habits, attitudes, and characteristics that tell me a student is going to stay on the "right" path. My gut level has probably been more right than wrong, but due to the continual process of knowing and growing in Christ, I refuse to write off anyone, and I have been heartbroken by some shocking crash and burns.

6. Question: which bear is best?
Nice Office reference. But I refuse to answer this question. I'm a Colts fan.

7. If you were an animal, what kind of animal would you be and why?
Some sort of Migratory bird that isn't hunted. I want to fly. I would be able to see a lot of the world.

8. This counts as one, so you really end up having to answer 20 questions. Tricky, huh? - uncalled for
Cubs or Santa Claus? Santa Clause... he'll give me what I want if I'm good. Looks like the Cubs are never going to give me what I want.
Coke or Pepsi? Coke
Beach or Mountains? Beach
Office or Lost? Lost
Crowder or Tomlin? Crowder in concert. Tomlin on my I-pod.
Poppycock or Phooey? Poppycock every time!
NFL or MLB? NFL
Summer or Winter? Summer
Crushed Ice or Ice Cubes? Cubes... but I really like the little pellets that the Nappanee Dairy Queen has.
Planes or Trains? Planes

9. If you could have a walk-on role in a movie or a tv episode...which one?
LOST. Multiple reasons. First, I get to go to Hawaii. Second, maybe I'd get an inside scoop on where it's all heading. Third, if it's a walk-on role, the odds are pretty high I'd get killed off... that would be kind of cool to say, "I got killed off of LOST."

10. If you could only make a difference in one place in the world outside of the USA where would you go? What would you do?
If I had to choose just one place, Northeast India. I would want to connect with those in that area who are seeking to bring light into their dark region and the three neighboring countries that are full of darkness as well. I would want to play the role of getting their story to those who can help support in prayer and resourcing for physical needs. I would also look to help with some sort of discipleship move specifically geared to those 12-25 years old.

11. If you were the general manager of the Colts and had to trade away Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison, what two current NFL players would you want in return? (they don't have to be from the same team)
Jay Cutler for QB. Great career ahead of him. He's got a gun and seems to be a smart player. WR is tough. The best seem to have so much personal drama with them. I'd have to go with Larry Fitzgerald. He's seems level-headed. With Gonzalez and Wayne as speedy guys, I'd love a big dude who can take one in the middle or go up for the jump ball in the end zone.

Thanks for playing all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always had trouble with "Earn this." It's an impossible direction. Ryan didn't ask for the lives of multiple people (nearly all of Tom Hanks's company and his several brothers) in return for his protection. And how could he ever possibly "earn" the sacrifice that was made on his behalf?

I have always thought the point of grace -- both in the conventional and the Biblical sense -- was that it was unearned and couldn't be earned.

I'd have thought the more appropriate instruction would have been, "Don't waste this." And that seems to me to be exactly what Ryan did. We're led to believe he lived a modest, but fruitful and honorable, life. In other words, he didn't make a mockery of the sacrifice made on his behalf, but how could he have *earned* it?

derryprenkert said...

I think that's exactly why I love that line. You're right. Ryan couldn't "earn it," he'd already received it.
But he could live his life in a manner that would be considered worthy of "earning" such an honor.

The juxtaposition created in the statement "Earn this" is why it strikes me so deeply. I run into many (and myself struggle) with the thought, "If I work hard enough (do more good than bad, make a positive impact on this world) I will earn our way into God's grace and eternity."

That's not how it works. It's what He's done through the redemption found on the cross. It's already been done. Upon my accepting what's already been done, I should do something with it.

You're right the appropriate instruction may be, "Don't waste this." Yet, living with a mentality that says, "I've already received this, now I'm going to seek to live in a way to earn it" takes on a level of urgency and personal responsibility that will not take lightly the "grace" that has been extended.