Friday, October 31, 2008

My Political Thought for the Day

I'm growing more and more annoyed by the amount of Christians basing their vote on fear of what happens if the wrong guy gets in. I've received emails going so far as claiming that one candidate shows evidence that could point to the Antichrist!
  1. It plays toward a big frustration I have with Christianity... we're often known to the world over what we're against rather than what we're for.
  2. There was a pretty poor political leader in place about 2000 years when Jesus entered the picture. All He and his followers did was change history, and it wasn't done through a political structure. On the other hand, Christians can claim the Crusades as a part of their "political history".
Am I saying Christians in politics are wrong? No.
Am I saying Christians should not care about the political climate? Absolutely not.

I'm saying that I'm pretty sure whether we wake up Nov 5 with Barack Obama elected as our next president, or John McCain as our next president, Christians can be confident that....
God is still on the throne.
God is still all-powerful.
God is still all-knowing.
God is still all-present.

Go vote, but don't vote out of fear. Vote out of faith.

I'm Derry Prenkert, and I approve this blog post.

8 comments:

Geoff Cocanower said...

YES! Thanks for that GREAT RANT!!!

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!

Anonymous said...

I love point 1 and 2!

Andrew said...

FINALLY!

Dude, you said in a couple sentences what took me a handful of paragraphs.

Thank you.

TheThinker said...

Check this out
"http://theologica.blogspot.com/2008/10/john-pipers-heart-in-this-election.html"

Carrie said...

Hey, Derry, you don't know me (I linked to your blog through Shelley's), but I completely agree with everything you've said. It's what I've been thinking over the last couple of weeks.

Phil Strahm said...

AMEN!

The thing I hate the most are all those stupid fwd emails. Anyone who determines their voting preference off those emails shouldn't be allowed to vote!

Brian a.k.a. Buzz said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur9RU