Monday, July 20, 2009

Our view this week


It's the week for our annual trip to Dewart Lake. This year I'll be working through Wednesday and driving back and forth, then we're powering down for the weekend and just hanging together. This little getaway has served as the "breathe point for us as we wind down from the crazy summer schedule (trip season) and get ready to wind up for the Fall. It's also been a major watershed point for us with life.

2 years ago we sat on the same balcony deck I took this picture from and made the decision that we were going to make a phone call that would change our life forever. That phone call was to a lady by the name of Candy. She had a seventeen year old daughter who was pregnant.

Last year was a lot about me getting ready for the toughest year (school year) of my life. I didn't know it at the time, but my reading, TAWG, and journaling all centered around what I was going to do with my faith in times where it wasn't going so smoothly. I had just gone through a year where I'd seen some great blessings. I had the most amazing daughter. My wife and I were closer than ever. I'd just seen an awesome Senior Class graduate out. Things were smooth and amazing.

In the year that followed... The parenting pace picked up. Janelle and I had to lean into our pasts as well as our current relationship & walk through some tough stuff. That awesome Senior Class had some major crash and burns as they headed off to college. The current Senior High momentum and pulse was harsh. I felt like I was constantly in "catch-up" mode. Then February hit. My dad died, and everything came to a screeching halt. In the end, I came to realize and see my Savior in new ways, learned fresh what the real meaning behind the song "Blessed be Your Name" is, and I can honestly say I love Jesus more today than I did last year.

What does this school year have in store? I don't know. I'm excited to see what God wants to prep me for through this week, though.

No comments: