Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Tension of Teaching Teens

Tonight we start a new Series with the Senior High. An Encounter with God is a three week examination of a powerful account in Isaiah 6 when Isaiah says, "I saw the Lord."

I consistently battle with a tension when preparing messages for teens (really any messages for that matter).

I have a deep burden and desire to help people know how to read and apply scripture to their lives. When communicating, the best way I can do this is to take a passage of scripture and break it down...
What is it's context (historically, geographically, literally)?
What is it saying (theologically)?
What does it mean to us (practically)?
In this approach, the text more determines the topic.


I also have a deep burden when communicating to meet people where they are at and address specific issues in their life. Sometimes the best way to do this is by going more topically focused, and looking to the text of scripture that addresses this topic. Often, in this approach, I will find myself using multiple passages/verses/stories from the Bible that will address this topic.

Both are valuable. In my style of communication, I tend to lean topical. That's why I think this series is healthy for me. We're going to look at what we can learn from Isaiah 6, and there is a lot. Tonight, we learn just how freakishly awesome and amazing God Almighty is.

I'm excited.

No comments: