Wednesday, March 03, 2010

My Book Board

I've been on a decent break from nonfiction. Outside of 3 books, all my reading for the past 18 months has been fiction. It was a good break to get my creative juices flowing. Also, I find I will often learn more concrete and applicable lessons from fiction than non. I'm weird like that.
Coming off of the Simply Youth Ministry Conference, it's quite clear I need to dive into a season of educating or refreshing myself in certain areas where some nonfiction reading could be beneficial for me.
I get nervous about putting up books I'm looking to read, because it's highly likely some will not get read. Either they don't grip me in the first chapter and I give up, or something even more enjoyable comes along.
At any rate, I will go ahead and throw up some of the books that are currently on my radar:

Communicating for a Change by Andy Stanley. I'm halfway through this one. Weird that I've never read this before. It's good stuff for someone who has been teaching/preaching/communicating for a while.

I just ordered these three books today off of recommendations from very trusted sources:

When Helping Hurts: Alleviating Poverty Without Hurting Ourselves by Brian Fikkert. This is a hot button issue in my life right now. As our Student Ministries have gained a deep burden for "the least of these", I'm battling to make sure our assistance can lead to freedom, empowerment, and advancement of the Gospel!

Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria by Beverly Danial Tatum. As we prepare for an adoption of an African baby, I want to go in with eyes wide open.

Flickering Pixels: How Technology Shapes Your Faith by Shane Hipps. When it comes to the philosophical look at technology, I'm very intrigued.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Derry,
Finished "Why are all the black kids.." it was eye opening and challenging. The Shane Hipps book I am in the middle of and I am looking forward to "when Helping hurts." I would also recommend Odd Girl Out, in fact i ordered 5 books myself.