Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Change and Values...

I started this blog in March, 2006.  In that time I have made 2,440 posts (this is 2,441).  The journey over that time has been crazy.  Since starting this blog...
  • I have seen the Student Ministries Staff change drastically.  I am now the only member still present in the office wing that was there at that time.  Chris Lehane joined the team in May, 2006 and Kristy Mikel had not made her move over to our wing yet.  Since that time, Jeremiah moved to California.  Janelle became a full-time stay-at-home mom, and Terry & Jason moved over to the dark side (a.k.a. the adult wing).
  • Furthermore, my role has changed quite a bit.  I have moved from a focused role as a Senior High Pastor with very little responsibilities outside the walls of those things that happen in the NMC Fieldhouse to a Captain over Student Ministires at NMC, a member of the platform team for Sunday mornings at NMC, and some roles and responsibilities in  some of NMC's Global Initiatives.
  • I've become a dad.  It happened in some pretty amazing ways.  My little girl is an amazing blessing and responsibility.  I'm actually a dad 2 times over at this point.  Our little will be with us soon.
  • I lost my dad. It was the toughest thing I've ever walked through.  It's still tough.
I could go on and on with the changes.  Most of these changes found me, I didn't go looking for them.  As change happens, it becomes tough knowing if you should be embracing it or resisting it.

I went through  a recent exercise in an effort to seek out some of the core values that define who I am and what I'm about.  As a part of that process, 10 values rose to the top for me.
  1. Optimism.
  2. Exhortation.
  3. Multiplication.
  4. Relationship.
  5. Empathy.
  6. Justice.
  7. Inspiration.
  8. Transparency.
  9. Humor.
  10. Creativity.
These are 10 values I believe God has branded on me as well as developed me in over time. As I seek his will for my life, these values have to be present.

No comments: