Our Visa Appointment at the Embassy was set for 2:00 p.m. Due to circumstances beyond our control, we arrived at the Embassy was 2:30. It looked very much like weren’t going to see us because of our tardiness, but with some major apologies and the look of shock on Janelle’s face, the assistant we were working with asked us to wait and see what she could do.
So we waited. Moses was super fussy and seemed pretty overheated while we waited. After about 20 minutes, we were called back in.
It was not good news.
- There were two important pieces of paperwork that had not arrived yet for our interview to take place.
- There would be no way we could do our interview today.
- Visa interviews only happen on Mondays and Wednesdays.
- July 4, Monday is a holiday.
- The earliest we can come in again for the interview is next Wednesday.
- If all goes well then, it will take up to 48 hours for our Visa to be issued.
- Our Flight is set to leave next Thursday Night.
- The math doesn’t add up.
- Oh, and as a little added bonus… one of those pieces of paperwork has a chance to not be ready even next week.
As we explained to this amazing assistant (seriously, she was so helpful and gracious) our situation with the timing, she took some steps to see if she could potentially speed up the process to make it more likely the Visa would be issued by next Thursday. No promises, though.
We walked out of the Embassy deflated and defeated. We drove over to the location where one of the missing pieces of paperwork was coming from. We were profusely apologized to and assured it would be sent expeditiously.
As we drove back to the Apartment to break the news to mom and Katylynn, our host here affirmed us to not be discouraged. The Visa can be turned around. We were struggling, but holding on to hope.
Moses had slept in my arms for much of the drive back to the apartment. He was burning up in my arms. We got into the apartment and I broke the news to Mom & Katylynn while Janelle took Moses’ temperature.
We called our host back, and he was showing enough other symptoms that she decided it be best to take him to a Doctor. After 3 hours of tests, examination, and tears (man that kid can cry) we were informed of multiple issues that were coming into play that needed addressing. For the next 48 hours, that little guy is going to not be feeling well as he takes the necessary medicine.
We were planning on going on a 3 day safari to Queen Elizabeth Park tomorrow. The Doctor said we should not do this with how Moses is feeling. This was our big surprise for Katylynn (fortunately we hadn’t told her about it).
And Strike Three. We’re out.
As we sat in the Doctor’s Office, I stared at Janelle and she back at me completely dumfounded. What just happened? I had mentioned in a previous post that everything was going so smoothly that I could see the Enemy throwing a wrench into things, but this was an entire Stanley Tool Shop.
To be completely honest, I haven’t had a more heart-breaking, frustrating, emotional roller coaster of a day since the day my dad died.
So, what now? Well, as some who I've already been in contact with have reminded me...
1 Thesalonians 5:24We're going to continue to stand. We are grateful for those who have been standing with us. Right now we need you to continue to stand.
The one who calls you is faithful, and HE will do it.
2 Corinthians 4:15-17
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
- That both reports will make it to the Embassy asap.
- That Moses' will sleep well and that his little body will heal up quickly.
- That something miraculous might happen over the next couple of days, and we may see unexpected progress before the weekend.
- That Katylynn will stay healthy. She has been a feeding post for mosquitos. They are not bothering her, but when she gets bitten they turn into massive bumps. Also pray for her emotionally. She's having to adjust to having a little brother enter as a toddler as well as deal with Culture Shock. She's doing so well.
- That we will keep our eyes on Jesus above all else.
It has ended with uncertainty.
It also ends with
FAITH in the One who has brought us to this point.
HOPE that the miraculous may take place, and
LOVE for a little boy who is, at the end of the day, still our son!