Friday, November 18, 2011

Passages - Life Verse #1

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 
                                                              Matthew 6:33

I'll often be asked if I have a "Life Verse."  A life verse, as I understand is a verse or passage of scripture that God has more or less branded on to your life.  It will likely tie in to your direct calling. When asked, I have several verses that come to mind (hence #1 as a part of this post).  This tends to be the primary one I'll give. 

I love to be about "kingdom" business. When I gave my life over to Christ in September 1995,  I remember looking at a friend kneeling at the alter next to me and saying, "If I'm doing this, it's all or nothing.  I'm done living for myself."  Unfortunately, that statement has been a little more tough in practice than it was to simply declare it.  Yet, I find myself most alive, most in my "sweet spot" when I am...
... involved in something that clearly glorifies God's character and God's calling for mankind.
... taking part in something that will live beyond me.
... wearing my "eternal eyes" and not just a "momentary monacle" (a really dumb illustration I often give when speaking).
... a part of something significant.

When I seek HIM first, things don't necessarily get easier, and they don't necessarily change, but things do seem to fall into proper place and perspective.

A common prayer for me:  "God, let me advance your Kingdom today.  Get my eyes off my Kingdom."

No comments: