Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The Story Behind the Shirt

In an effort to raise funds for the adoption of our 4th Child, we are selling T-shirts that tell our story. 
This t-shirt is my design and it tells my portion of the story.


 
I was on an airplane somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean October 2006 when I wrote the phrase for the first time. Janelle and I had (along with Caleb 'Biz' Bislow) just finished up speaking at a Youth Camp outside Calcutta India. I was processing through the incredible opportunities God had granted me and wrestling with the enormous needs present in the world. I wanted to do something, but this time it was different.

This time I felt so insignificant in it all. In that feeling, I was also able to come to grips with that fact that so much of my life to that point had been caught up in meaning and significance... or to put it more clearly, I was convinced that my meaning would come when I was seen as someone significant. If I could become some kind of Christian All-star then I would know I had arrived with God.

On that airplane, a very subtle but significant change of focus began. What if, rather than getting caught up in my significance, I would get caught up in giving my life toward the things that God saw as significant? I wrote it out in a simple declaration:

WHO CARES IF I'M SIGNIFICANT?
I JUST WANT TO BE A PART OF SOMETHING SIGNIFICANT.

This became a somewhat of a life mission for me from that point forward. I'm not that special (in fact I'm kind of a big tool), but I believe God has allowed me to be a part of some pretty significant things for the sake of His Kingdom with my life. The opportunity to be an adoptive father ranks near the top.

You can purchase this shirt and others in Janelle's etsy store YippaDeeSkip or you can connect in person with us to make a purchase: www.etsy.com/shop/YippaDeeSkip

No comments: