Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Cross or the Tomb?










My thought for this Easter Day:

I often find myself in a world that is fixated on the Crucifixion. The pain and suffering of "He who had no sin" as he took on my sin.

I'm blown away by the story of the crucifixion.
I'm inspired by the crucifixion.
I'm humbled by the crucifixion.
I'm ashamed of my role in the crucifixion.
I'm touched and inspired by the crucifixion.

Yet sometimes I wonder if I focus on the crucifixion too much.

As I sat in this morning's worship celebration, Pastor Dave threw out a quote he read earlier this week in USA today...
"We live in a Good Friday world, but we are an Easter people."

So often, my life embraces and reflects the atoning power of the crucifixion... THE sacrificial lamb. I have accepted the shedding of his blood for my sin, but that isn't the full story, is it? I mean, if it was, then I might as well just be raising up unblemished lambs and having a barbecue every once in a while.

This morning, I'm realizing the empty tomb is just as powerful as the Cross. Because he is risen, I can walk in freedom. Because death can't hold Him down, I am able to walk in victory over sin and death. It's in walking the truth and hope of the empty tomb that I am able to walk in this world with hope and to live out heaven here on earth.

May this Easter find you embracing the cross, and rejoicing in the empty tomb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Gary used that same quote in both our Good Friday and Easter services. It made me step back and think many of those same thoughts man. I find myself teaching about His pain and suffering for each of us on that cross, but often times don't give as much time to the fact that He was resurrected that Easter morn.