Wednesday, November 12, 2008

10 Questions - Answers

When it gets down to it, we're really looking at 12 questions...

1. Who is your favorite 7-year old nephew and why? (submitted by a certain 7-year old nephew)
Well, it's a close race, but I'm going to have to go with my 7-year old nephew Calvin. He's my favorite because he likes Chocolate Ice Cream (like I do), he likes Katylynn (like I do), and he really enjoys going to my parents cabin in Michigan (like I do).

2. What's the number 1 thing someone in a leadership role (of anything, not just in the church world) needs to have? (from Bill Sines)
I'd love to pick one, but I'm convinced there's two that go hand in hand... Vision and Courage. People will come behind a vision. The leaders will need to have the courage to act on, push people toward, and defend that vision.

3. If you were to make a movie about your life story and you could a pick celebrity to act your part, who would you pick and why?
Kid me - Those Zack and Cody kids.
Teen me - Zac Efron
Current me - Mark Paul Gosselaar
Why, don't know really, their the first that popped into my head that they could possibly make look like me (Efron would need to get punched in the face a few times).

4. would you like to do lunch sometime? (from Chunk)
Give me a call.

5. How do you stay (ministry speaking) grounded and focused in a way to keep kids challenged when they have so many distractions in their life?
(from Brian)
It's all about relationship. My ultimate goal is to make sure students are connected in healthy peer and adult relationships that will give them Kingdom perspective, and challenge them to live a life connected to the significant.
Personally, I struggle with focus in the midst of so many distractions, so I try my best to invite students into my journey, so they can see that their not alone in that battle, and hopefully catch some of the ways I'm seeking to live this out.

6.How do you communicate to them their significance in Christs ministry? (also from Brian)
We really underestimate two principles when it comes to this one...
First, it's caught more than taught. They need to hear it, but they also need to see and experience it.
Second, walk with them. They need someone to help guide them as they experience it.

7. What is your quest? (from Robby)
There are many. My current quest is to figure out what do with my hair next... keep it short, or grow it out through the winter.

8. If you could choose to have a picnic with any three people from all of history, who would you pick and what would you eat? why? (from Audrey)
Thinking quick here, so I'm not sure these would be the guaranteed three.
Noah - I want to know what in the world those Nephilim were, and the whole ark building process, the flood itself, and animal care in the ark intrigues me.
Teenage Jesus - I'm so intrigued with what went on between the temple and the desert.
Bono - Big fan. Would love to see how he'd interact with the other two. I'd ask him for a pair of sunglasses.
We'd eat manna because I've always wondered what it was, and what it tastes like.

9. What is one thing you wish you could do in student ministry you haven't done yet? (from)
Take a team of High School students across the ocean. India or Africa. I also think I would enjoy speak at a youth conference sometime.

10. Basketball, Football, or Baseball?
Watching live, Baseball or basketball. On TV, football.

11. Monopoly, Scrabble, or Chess? (from bill)
Scrabble. I like words. I stink at chess.

12. What would be the one that would make you stop playing fantasy football/baseball? (from Chris)
I'll give you to two. My wife or daughter asking me to, or if I feel it is hindering my life/ministry.

2 comments:

Eric Gingerich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric Gingerich said...

Let's be honest. You would never REALLY quit fantasy though. It's just a nice thought. Nappanee and Suburbs for life.