Monday, February 09, 2009

He Read to Me... A repost

I'll likely be off the blog for a few days. I took some time this morning to look through my blog and see times referencing my dad. He's showed up in many forms here, mostly in reference to the significant influence and impact he's had on me. May May, 2007 the first entry to my Greatest Hits series (recounting some of the most significant moments in my life) was about him. It is reposted below, in it's unedited form.

Greatest Hits -- He Read to Me

One of my more favorite movies is Field of Dreams... the story of Ray Kinsella, who builds a baseball diamond in the middle of a cornfield, where deceased major leaguers come out of the field to play and make peace with their pasts.
I'm a baseball fan, so that plays a big part in why I enjoy the movie. I most enjoyed the storyline that involves Ray's unresolved issues with his deceased father.
The final scene of the movie is when Ray comes face to face with his young father on the baseball diamond. Ray comes to a point where he asks his dad if they could "have a catch."

This picture of a father and son doing something together...
Doing something that the father loved...

My dad is a Cubs fan. We went to Cubs games together.

My dad is a fan of basketball. Many games of "21" played together in our front yard.

My dad enjoys the Great Lakes Area. They have a cottage in Luddington where we go to spend time together.

Most significant is that my dad loves to read. Most any time you run into my dad, you will see him with a book in his hands. He actually takes books with him to sporting events where he will read during timeouts or between plays.

As a kid, I have vivid memories of my dad sitting and reading to me at bedtime.
The Chronicles of Narnia.
Jerry Todd Series.
The Hobbit.
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

My dad shared with me his love for reading. I cherish the memories of me nodding off to sleep with visions of Frodo fighting the orcs, Aslan and Peter looking out of those armies of Narnia, or Jerry Todd and his gang fighting off imaginary pirates.

These times of my dad reading to me are significant for several reasons:

  1. This is what sparked a love for literature and the arts in general.
  2. I'm known for being a fairly creative person. I mark the times of my dad reading to me as helping inspire my imagination, and develop my creativity.
  3. Most importantly, my dad spent time with me. By sharing something he loved with me, he was showing that he love me. It is through this example I understand a Heavenly Father who loves to share what he loves with me. I understand a Heavenly Father who loves to spend time with me.
If you ever see me, or something I do, and think, "Man he's creative," you're seeing my dad. It's probably the largest element of his legacy passed on to me.

Last Summer, we went up to Luddington with my parents. My nephew, Calvin, came along. While we sat out along the Lake Michigan, I watched as my dad read "Jerry Todd and the Talking Frog" to his grandson.


If you are a dad, what are you doing to share what you love with your children?

As you share WHAT you love with your kids, you are sharing THAT you love your kids.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful inspiring message. Your dad is so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Derry and family: Chon Shrock shared this site with us and I have just finished reading it. I've regained my composure enough to write now, and I just wanted you all to know how deeply sorry I am for your loss...a very large loss. The picture of your dad and Calvin-- I can't even find words significant enough. He was such a special man: a brilliant mind and a gentle, meek nature. I appreciate all he invested in so many students and colleagues over the years. I will be praying for you all.

Mark Davidhizar said...

Derry, the one picture that has been coming to my mind the last couple of days is one of your daughter and your dad I believe it was up at the cottage. I dont know if you put it on your blog or on facebook, but it is of your dad reading to your daughter. I thought it was great how your dad love to share his passions with his grandchildren and found it fitting that he was reading to her. Your dad was a great man. He will trully be missed.

Anonymous said...

Derry,
I do not know you personally but know many of your friends, and to my great loss I did not know your dad either. This post especially touched me, as one of my great loves in life is reading to my children, last night as I was reading to my son I thought of your dad. I hope that our reading time has as much of an impact on my children as it did on your father's children and grandchildren.
My kids and I continue to lift you and your family up to Jesus in prayer.

Anonymous said...

Derry,
I would just like to pass on to you what a wonderful and inspirational teacher I thought your father was. I wasn't the greatest student in high school, but for some reason I seemed to click with your father's method of teaching. Writing and literature became something of a passion of mine early in college. I ended up majoring in journalism, and I think I owe a large portion of that desire to your father. During my junior year of high school, your dad chose me to talk to a group of sophomore students on taking the ISTEP test. He chose me because I wasn't the best student, but he saw potential and believed that I could be of some influence to others. I will always have good memories when I think of Mr. Prenkert.

Jen Bontrager said...

Derry- So sorry to hear about your dad. What a blessing to have had such a wonderful father. I never talked to him but I do remember seeing him reading at Bethel games. God bless your family in the next few hard days, weeks, etc.