Thursday, June 11, 2009

Summer Goals

By the end of August, I hope to:

Personal:

  • Read at least two novels.
  • Read at least two non-fiction books.
  • Watch at least 10 "Summer Blockbusters" in the theater (5 already down, Wolverine, Star Trek, Terminator: Salvation, Land of the Lost, Angels & Demons).
  • Eat the equivalent of 2 whole watermelons.
  • Write 50 pages of "Un-named Project".
  • Fall asleep on a hammock at least once (no idea when or where, but I must find a way).

Ministry:

  • Take 20 students out to a one-on-one or two-on-one lunch.
  • Pray daily for any students while they are on a trip.
  • See at least 20 testimonies shared from students and leaders during our Sunday and Wednesday programs.
  • Give all I've got to see Summer Camp be a powerful encounter with God.
  • Breathe. A lot.

Home:
  • See a fully green back yard.
  • Get Barnabas's new dog fence up.
  • Start in on Bathroom remodeling.

Family:
  • At least 4 trips to the zoo.
  • Read 60 books to Katylynn (Janelle and I will team up).
  • Completely read through Katylynn's Children's Bible Story Book.
  • Make as many toddler story times at the library as possible.
  • At least 5 dates with my lovely wife (1 is already done).
  • Sit around a camp fire together and look at the stars at least once (I hate DST for this, otherwise it would be a LOT more).
  • Spend outdoor time every Thursday with Katylynn.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Very cool...and very ambitious...

If I may make a few suggestions...

Fiction: The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker ("Red", "Black", and "White") - it's LOTR meets the Matrix meets the story of Christ...I think you'd like it.

Non-Fiction: "The Year Of Living Biblically" by AJ Jacobs, and "The Unlikely Disciple" by Kevin Roose - both great books about the Bible and Christianity written from the viewpoint of a non-believer.

I've got all five books, but all but "Unlikely Disciple" are loaned out. I do expect "Black" & "Red" back in a few weeks, though, but most libraries have those.

I love the spending time with your wife and daughter goals, too...you can never do too much of that!!

Finally, if you need any help meeting the watermelon goal, or just someone to eat and spit seeds with ya, I'm there!!