Friday, November 06, 2009

Terrific 2s: 2-6 months

  1. Cry Language: Someone told us that if you paid attention to your child's cries, you could tell what he/she wanted. The "I'm tired" cry sounds a little different from the "I'm hungry" cry which sounds different from the "I need changed" cry which sounds different from the "I'm hurt cry." As we tested this out, we felt like "Naaaaa" seemed to coincide with hungry and "Whaaaaa" went pretty close to nap and bed time.
    Whether or not it was accurate, it helped us keep in mind that she wasn't just crying to cry. She wasn't colicky, and may have just had a sweet cry, but it rarely got on our nerves.

  2. An Internal Change: A lot changed the way that I did ministry, the way I worked, and the way I viewed things. I think it was an internal change that has had some major external effects. I'll call it "daddy eyes." Holding that little girl, realizing that it was Janelle and my responsibility to love, care, and provide for her. Knowing that I can't control everything that happens to her, but I can control how I'm going to respond to it began to mess with me. I can't look at gals in our youth group the same way. Recognizing that's somebody's daughter makes a move toward compassion over simply pushing toward conversion. Not totally sure how to explain it all, but it was in months 2-6 she changed me... big time!

No comments: