Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Tonight at NMC

I shared a message tonight that has been brewing in me for many years.  Here's some of the biggest thoughts from it...

  • Have you ever felt used in a relationship? I know I have.   I had my license early in my Sophomore year, and it was amazing how many people became friends with me at that point. We can run a risk of doing this with God. When our main reason for following God is out of a desire to get something from him… heaven, feelings, a supernatural move (miracles, gifts, etc.)… we are missing the point. 
  • The reason we follow God because He is God. 
  • Tonight, we did not sing "You are here for us".... we sang, "We are here for you."  BUT, which version are we singing in our everyday life?
  •  The idea of seeking God over God’s move is laced throughout scripture... 
    • In Amos the people were seeking the places of worship over God.  He had some harsh words to say to them in Amos 5:4-6.
    • We love the promise of Jeremiah 29:11 (For I know the plans I have for you) but that promise is incomplete without Jeremiah 29:12-13 (You will seek me and find me when you seek ME with all your heart).
    • Philippians 4:13 is grossly misquoted.  Check out Philippians 4:11-12 sometime.
  •  Some of you may be saying, “Wait a minute? So I shouldn’t want to see God move? I shouldn’t want to get to heaven? Is it bad to want to feel God’s presence?” No, I’m not saying that. What I’m trying to get at is this… 
    • Let’s be careful that we are seeking the Creator and not his creation. 
    • Let’s worship the Doer and not the things he’s done. 
    • Let’s place our trust in the Giver and not in His gifts.

No comments: