Thursday, June 05, 2008

A Great Day Off

Today was another first for the little baby girl... her first trip to the zoo.

The visit can best be summed up by these two photos:

We saw lions, snakes, giant tortoises, kangaroos, zebras, monkeys, tigers, cheetahs, and bears, yet what were exciting to Katylynn?
Goats, goldfish, and butterflies.

I remember being at Disney, zoos, parks, etc. where a couple brought their infant, and thinking that couple was absolutely ridiculous. My thoughts... There's no way that kid is going to truly enjoy this place.

That couple I used to look at was us today. But I get it now. I want to create a culture in our family that has fun together.

Although she didn't even look at a majority of the animals, we were together and enjoying the time. The look on her face when she touched the nose of the goat made the entire trip worth it:

Katylynn won't remember today, but Janelle and I will.
Katylynn won't remember today. She also won't remember next Thursday's swimming trip, this Summer's bike rides, our week on Dewart Lake, and the other times spent together around home. Yet, we want to set the culture that prioritizes spending time together and making memories now.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bring her over to our house to experience pigs and steers. Caitlin LeVan loved it! And it's free!

Jen Bontrager said...

Well said, Derry. I often think my kids won't remember the fun things we do together, but they will have a sense of growing up in a family that enjoys and values time together