Saturday, September 19, 2009

5 Major Themes in 2009: Theme #2


Theme #2: Life is a series of events that prepare us for the next event.

A quote from me on Sunday, January 25 as I stood in front of the NMC body and shared a message in the "Uncharted Territory" series. The focus of the message was how God desires to prepare us so we can navigate uncharted territory. In the midst of uncharted territory, we must seek His perspective to make it through.

2 weeks later, I was in Elkhart General Hospital saying good bye to my dad (at least for now). God had given me a message to share with others that I was now living in a more significant reality than ever before. The message had played a role in preparing me for uncharted territory. I'm seeing this reality played out again and again.

... 6 years of doubt, question, frustration, and disappointment as we tried to have a baby. Little did I know that God was preparing me for something amazing in a little girl named Katylynn.

... Flying home from India in 2006. I'd spent some time talking to Caleb Bislow about his vision for the Maasai Project. I turned to Janelle and said, "What If we asked the NMC students to come alongside Caleb? That question led to Maasai Night. Maasai Night led to Kenya Night. Kenya Night led to Rwanda Night. Now Rwanda Night is leading to a year dedicated to Kids In Need. Each one very significant in and of themselves, but ultimately preparing us for something more.

... This Summer, our PhillyGO team came home with a phrase... "You Gotta Want It."Our IMPACT team (not knowing about Philly's phrase) came home with a phrase... "How bad do you want it?" Hearing about these two phrases, it became clear that we were being prepared for a challenge at Summer Camp for students to stand up and say "I Want It!" The meaning was that they want to follow Christ above all else. The Wednesday before we kicked off here at NMC, we looked at those phrases, and realized it was time to say, "Let's Do This!" Each phrase was significant and meaningful at the time, but we ultimately preparing us for the next phrase.

One of Janelle's favorite movies is "Meet the Robinsons" (I really enjoy it as well). A key phrase that this young orphan boy grasps onto is "Keep Moving Forward." As he faces trials and triumphs, he learns that he must continue to learn from both and press on.

I believe my life, and your life is filled with events that are both significant in the moment, and significant for what's to come. I'd love to say I nailed it every time in taking advantage of the events in my life in order to be prepared for what's next. I haven't.

I'd love to give you a list of examples for when I've done that. I do know that I took way too long to embrace the journey when it came to our battle with infertility. But, trying to find an example where I missed out on what's next, I can't give one. When I don't allow events to prepare me for the next event, I likely robbed myself the opportunity to take part in that "next event".
Ephesians 5:
15Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is.

No comments: